Table of Contents
Phil Taylor Bio
Philip Douglas Taylor or Phil Taylor is a former professional English darts player. Phil Taylor was born in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, UK. He has been the dominant of the sports of darts for over two decades. With his unwavering dedication and desire to better himself and break his own records, he has managed to become the most affluent and the most successful player in the history of dart games.
Before beginning with his career in darts, Taylor used to work in the ceramic industry, making ceramic toilet roll handles. He only began with his career in the sport in the year 1986, when he got selected for the county team. Initially, Taylor struggled to succeed but slowly he toiled his way to claim his first title in the year 1987 at the Canadian Open Tournament.
It was in 1990 when Taylor for the first time qualified for the World Championship. Upon reaching the final of the championship, Taylor had to compete with his mentor, Eric Bristow, for the world title. Eventually, he emerged victorious, winning his first-ever World championship. After this, he continued his winning streak and became a 16 times World Championship title holder. He won the PDC World Cup of Darts in 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016 along with other major titles. Due to the power he had in the game, he was given the nickname “The Power”. He was also rated in the ten greatest British sportsmen of the last 35 years in 2015 by the BBC.
Whenever one will talk about the legends of the dart, a name that will always be talked about is Phil Taylor. With his passion and enthusiasm, Taylor has engraved his name in stone in the history of the dart. His retirement from the game after his final defeat in the 2018 World Championship to Rob Cross marked the end of an era for dart lovers.
Phil Taylor FAQs
We’ve collated some frequently asked questions about Phil Taylor for your reading pleasure. Get to know the man!
What is Phil Taylor’s nickname?
Arguably the most iconic nickname in darts history, Phil “The Power” Taylor.
How old is Phil Taylor?
At the time of writing, Phil is 60 years old. His date of birth is the 13th of August, 1960.
Where was Phil Taylor born?
Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, England, which he also calls his hometown.
How tall is Phil Taylor?
173cm, or 5 feet 8 inches, one of the shorter players going around.
When did Phil Taylor debut?
Phil first appeared in the BDO in 1987, where he turned professional.
What Darts does Phil Taylor use?
26g Target Phil Taylor Gen 4. You can check them out on Amazon!
What is Phil Taylor’s walk on music?
“The Power” by Snap
How good is Phil Taylor at darts?
Phil is regarded as one of the best ever to do it. His record speaks for itself.
BDO Majors highlights:
- World Ch’ship Winner (2): 1990, 1992
- World Masters Winner (1): 1990
- World Darts Trophy Winner (1): 2006
- Int. Darts League Quarter Final: 2006
PDC Premier events highlights:
- World Ch’ship Winner (14): 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013
- World Matchplay Winner (16): 1995, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2017
- World Grand Prix Winner (11): 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013
- Grand Slam Winner (6): 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
- Premier League Winner (6): 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012
- Ch’ship League Winner (4): 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Desert Classic Winner (5): 2002, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2009
- European Ch’ship Winner (4): 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- UK Open Winner (5): 2003, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2013
- US Open/WSoD Winner (3): 2006, 2007, 2008
- Players Ch’ship Finals Winner (3): 2009, 2011, 2012
- Masters Winner (1): 2013
- Champions League Winner (1): 2016
- World Series Finals Semi Final: 2015, 2016
And many more titles.
Who is Phil Taylor’s wife?
Yvonne Taylor, who they have 4 children together. However, in 2014, the pair split.
What is Phil Taylor’s net worth?
Phil Taylor is one of darts most succesful champions, with an estimated net worth of $10 million. It’s The Power’s shout!